Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

I have always had a fondness for Alice, inspired mostly by the 1951 Disney animated movie, for I did not actually read the books until after high-school, or perhaps right towards the end of my senior year.

So, in honor of the new Tim Burton Alice, and due to my deep and growing love of the story in general I have proposed a challenge for myself. To review every movie version (plus a few tv series) of Alice in Wonderland, and its sequel Through the Looking Glass, mostly because elements of both are often used in the movie adaptations.

So first I will re-read the two books, and make a comprehensive list of events in the form of characters met in which order, and also a list of songs/poems used, because it is always interesting to see which they use and how they use them, and post that first, and then in chronological order review as many of the different adaptations as I can get my hands on. (A comprehensive list of movies will follow shortly.)

I wish to rate the movies in a few ways, first in how closely they follow the book(s), this will be calculated by how many events/characters are included, and how closely they stick to the order of events, and possibly by how much they merge the two stories. The second will be how good I think the movie is in general, separate from how much the it follows the original story, this rating will most likely also be based on how original the characterizations and over-all style is compared to previous adaptations (i.e. how badly a movie annoys me with being 'just like' another). The third rating will be a completely arbitrary one, based on how 'cute' I think the movie is :D

I realize that being most familiar with the Disney version, that I might be quite biased for that particular version. I will, however, try my best to not compare every adaptation to the Disney version, though wikipedia has informed me that many later adaptations have been much influenced by the Disney vision.

2 comments:

  1. This is a cool idea but I wonder what you're going to do with it. Personally I think you should turn it into some kind of writing -- essays, blog entries, something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each movie/series will get a blog entry, where I review them.

    ReplyDelete